Archive for October, 2010

Sydney. October 8, 2010. Blacktown Migrant Workers Union President Neil Galang announced today that the scheduled deportation of Analiza Capili and her family was ordered stopped by Chris Bowen, Minister of Immigration and Citizenship. The Capilis were scheduled to have been deported on Saturday night, 10 October 2010. All seven members of the family had in fact, packed their belongings but were still hopeful that Neil Galang would succeed in his bid for a permanent residency status for them.

In an exclusive news article sent to Philippine Sentinel, Mr. Galang said that the Honorable Ed Husic, Federal Member for Chifley was instrumental in halting the deportation order. Through personal representations made with the Minister, Mr. Husic succeeded in obtaining a ‘Stop Order’ in deporting the Capilis. Blacktown Migrant Workers Union (BMWU) top honcho Neil Galang expressed his deep appreciation for the assistance given by Husic.

This happy development paves the way for a re-submission and review of the application for migration of the Capili family.

Analiza Capili had initially lost her bid to obtain permanent residency in Australia when she failed the International English Language Test (IELT) by half a point. This was in spite of her being able to graduate from her studies at TAFE Blacktown.

BMWU was also successful in obtaining hundreds of signatures during the recent anniversary celebrations of Philippine Community Council. The petition was spearheaded by PCC President Elsa Collado. – ©

(Philippine Sentinel owns exclusive rights over the printing of this news item.)

Manila. September 28. Saliao swore by the Holy Book (Qu’ran) that he was present in the house of ex-governor Andal Ampatuan Sr. when the infamous Maguindanao Massacre was being planned. He was a helper in said household.

Saliao’s statements were straight forward and very consistent while he was being cross-examined by defence lawyer Gregorio Narvasa. Saliao directly linked Andal Ampatuan Jr. to the killings allegedly on orders of his father.

Saliao said that Ampatuan Jr., the mayor of Datu Unsay town, led a force of over a hundred, mostly police and paramilitary troopers that carried out the massacre on Nov. 23, 2009. The dead included 30 journalists, the largest single group of media people killed in a single incident.

Incumbent Maguindanao Governor Mangudadatu said that he was satisfied with the testimony of Saliao. The witness appeared unperturbed with insinuations made by the defence lawyer that he was just as guilty as the accused.

Norodin Zailon Mauyag, a resident of Sitio Malatig, also testified about how the Mangudadatu convoy was ambushed. He said they were ordered by the armed men to leave the area so that they won’t get hurt. Mauyag recalled how the passengers from the convoy were threatened by the men whom he identified as policemen. – ? (Associated Press)

Please find enclosed a copy of my remarks at the AGM of the Ethnic Communities Council of NSW last month.

In my comments, I reiterate the support of the NSW Liberal & Nationals for multiculturalism and Australia’s immigration tradition.

Like many across the community I was concerned that, during the recent Federal election campaign, the Prime Minister and others sought to question the benefits of migration and growth to Australia.

I look forward to continue building a strong working relationship with you and your community. Achieving our goal of making New South Wales number one again will require the support of all our citizens and I am keen for you and your community to be part of the journey.

Barry O’Farrell, MP
NSW Opposition Leader

I completely agree with your statements. This is a clear case of fraud and deception. I feel strongly deceived. Nora (and perhaps more likely her producer) made money from this scam, knowing months in advance of her Australian tour that she could no longer sing. Who benefited? Not the audience, that’s for sure. She did not even attempt to perform but sat there just to tell her story. Whilst I can understand and sympathize with Nora’s unfortunate circumstance, this does not change the fact that she has scammed the Filipino community intentionally misleading them into believing she would perform. This does not paint a positive picture for Filipino attitude and culture. Nora has exploited her once superstar status name: to con the Filipino-Australian community. This may be tolerated in the Philippines. But I will not stand for such blatant deception and agree the Filipino community should be made aware of the real situation.

Maria Duke (by email)

On 28 August, the Nora Aunor “Concert” was held in Brisbane. Like in Sydney, we were duped into this unforseen scam. I agree that the Filipino Community should be wary of concert organisers such as Robert Rull. The fact of the matter is that all the concert organisers together with Nora Aunor and her team were all part of the act and are equally guilty of deceit, providing false and misleading information and fraudulent acts of crime of which they deserve to be charged and be penalised accordingly. If Nora Aunor was in dire need of financial help, organisers could have promoted a charity concert for her instead. However, you and I know that this cannot be the case as the organisers would not financially benefit from this. So the question is who benefited? We were conned and became the victims of this selfish act. I urged anybody to come forward and put up a complaint against these concert organisers through legal action or by approaching the Office of Fair Trading.

Florence Ducusin (by email)

I attended her concert in Melbourne and you are 100% correct. Nora Aunor didn’t sing. It was a huge disappointment and definitely a case of DECEPTION and FRAUD. I heard the news about her not being able to sing anymore a couple of months ago. I then contacted the organisers to ask and was advised that it was all a publicity stunt and that there’s nothing wrong with Ms Nora Aunor. It was a good night despite the fact that she didn’t sing. Thanks to the other (local) entertainers involved. However, I still feel deceived by the organisers. That is a real shame!

shaiigal@yahoo.com.au

Nora had to do her concert but just like in Toronto she was honest with her fans that she could no longer sing. She had to honor her commitment to the producer.

Mila Solidon (by email)

I shudder at the thought of several hours wasted every time my local doctor refers me to a specialist. I know that I would be seated at the reception area for at least an hour or even as long as 3 hours. That is of course, in spite of an appointment having been made with his secretary.

Most General Practitioners (GPs) do not accept appointments. It’s usually on a first come – first served basis. But not in the case of many Specialist Doctors! First you have to dial a number and request for an appointment.

Quite frequently, the secretary will tell you that the doctor is very busy and can make himself available only after 2 months. So the waiting time begins.
Unfortunately, if you are after an Oncologist, 2 months maybe more than enough time for cancer cells to spread to other vital organs.

But the waiting game starts all over again when you reach the Specialist’s clinic on the appointed time and date. You discover that many other patients were given the same time by the ‘efficient’ secretary . . . and of course, you find yourself at the very end of the queue.

So you approach the secretary and remind her that it is 30 minutes past the appointed time. She points to a sign that says “appointments are given only as a matter of reference.”

You remind yourself that you are a patient and must practice patience but your patience is running out because of another commitment. You must leave and tell the secretary that you will just call for another appointment, knowing fully well that it won’t happen within the next 2 months.

If ever you succeed in seeing the specialist, you must be ready to dish out at least $180, and that is for a 10 minute consultation.

How much productive time is wasted while waiting at the reception area of a Specialist’s Clinic? Consider an average of 20 people who have to wait for at least one hour. Assume that each of these 20 patients make only $20 per hour. Multiply that by the actual number of specialists in Australia and further multiplied by the number of days in each year. The resulting figure is mind-boggling and could reach hundreds of millions of dollars.

Who is the culprit? Is it the Specialist who is not capable of managing his time or is it his secretary who indiscriminately gives out appointments without coordinating with the doctor? – ? DMC